New York Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services
Who We Are
NYAPRS is a statewide coalition of people who use and/or provide recovery oriented community based behavioral health services. We value difference and promote cultural competence in all aspects of our work.
NYAPRS is dedicated to improving services and social conditions for people with psychiatric disabilities or diagnoses, and those with trauma-related conditions by promoting their recovery, rehabilitation and rights so that all people can participate freely in the opportunities of society.
Accordingly, we act to:
- Promote the concept and practice of recovery
- Promote the widespread availability of quality recovery-centered rehabilitation and peer support services throughout New York State
- Promote the rights of people with psychiatric disabilities in the struggle against stigma and discrimination both within the behavioral health system and in the larger community
- Promote the right to integrated, competitive employment for people with psychiatric disabilities in the pursuit of economic self-sufficiency.
NYAPRS membership includes over 100 community mental health service agencies that support the efforts of tens of thousands of New Yorkers by providing a wide range of services that share a fundamental belief in the capacity for recovery, healing and independence for every individual with a psychiatric disability.
Community and Economic Development
Our Systems Transformation Division
Transform the Services You Provide, Energize Your Workforce, Inspire the People You Serve!
Each of the NYAPRS Systems Transformation Division’s initiatives aim to engage systems, organizations and professionals in the discernment, valuing and practice of the principles of recovery, rehabilitation and rights by creating a learning environment that challenges mind set, strengthens skills and builds a foundation for recovery through the partnering of practitioners and people receiving services. For more information contact Ruth Colón-Wagner @ RuthCW@nyaprs.org
Our Peer Services Division
The NYAPRS Peer Services division is based on the simple principle that all people, regardless of psychiatric disability or trauma-related condition have the capacity to recover and that all people should be afforded the opportunity to try.
Public Policy Division
NYAPRS is proud of our numerous accomplishments in areas of NYS Public Policy, Federal Policy, Legislative Day, and the annual creation of Advocacy Priorities. For more information on our public policy activities, contact Tom Templeton, Public Policy Specialist, at TomT@nyaprs.org.
Community and Economic Development
NYAPRS is committed to ensuring that all of its services and initiatives are culturally and linguistically competent. Through advocacy, we seek to eliminate the health care disparities that frequently leave the most marginalized populations in peril. We actively use community education and technical assistance as tools to provide agencies with the knowledge needed to create organizations that embody the principles of recovery, rehabilitation, and rights for all.
The Cultural Competence Committee
In addition to the work done through our advocacy, technical assistance, and initiatives, our commitment to cultural competence is realized through the organizing and efforts of our Cultural Competence Committee. The Committee is a statewide coalition of New Yorkers who use and or provide recovery-centered, community-based, publicly funded mental health services dedicated to promoting the integrated delivery of culturally competent behavioral health services throughout New York State.
Through forums, committee meetings, and special events, the Cultural Competence Committee acts to:
- Promote the integration of the concepts, values, principles and practice of cultural competence
- Promote the widespread availability of culturally competent behavioral health services throughout New York State
- Promote the rights of people with psychiatric disabilities and advocate for the elimination of health care disparities